• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
Doorbell video captures teens jumping into action to save residents in Livonia fire
Updated On: Sep 07, 2022
According to the Livonia mayor’s office, Ethan Morche, Chase Adams and Colin Anderson, who all attend Churchill High School, were driving down Ellen Drive when they saw smoke coming out of garage. After calling 911 to report the fire, they reportedly heard shouts from inside the house.
Officials say two of the teens found a sliding door that was unlocked and went inside to help, while the other teen waited for first responders to tell them that people were inside.
Both of the teens were able to bring two people out to safety, according to the mayor's office.
"We couldn't be more proud of these young men who remained calm, did the right thing, and were directly responsible for saving the lives of two of their neighbors,” said Livonia Fire & Rescue Chief Robert Jennison in a press release. “They could have just drove by, but instead they decided to take action, and stopped this incident from becoming a tragedy resulting in loss of life."
The teens and residents were medically evaluated on the scene.