Western Wayne County
Fire Department Mutual Aid Association
  • July 20, 2018

     

    Member Login
    Username:

    Password:


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    Site Search
    Site Map
    RSS Feeds

    PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    UnionActive IAFF Newswire
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Jul. 19 (23:00)

    Otero Ave Natural Gas Fire
    South Metro Firefighters IAFF LOCAL 2164
    Broadmoor Drive Structure Fire
    South Metro Firefighters IAFF LOCAL 2164
    2018 IAFF Local 42 Golf Tournament
    Missouri State Council of Fire Fighters
    Firefighters Poker Run
    IAFF Local 2866
    Breast Cancer Awarness Shirts
    IAFF Local 2866
    Celebrating...Mike Camelo Jr. Back Yard Steak Out
    IAFF 1826

    Labor Headlines

    US labor news headlines from LabourStart

    Trump's Supreme Court pick is eager to take the war on workers up a notch
    The OSC Corruption & The Case Of OSHA WPP Whistleblower and AFGE Steward SFLC Delegate Darrell Whitman
    Worker wages drop while companies spend billions to boost stocks
    Hawai‘i Unions Representing 130,000 Workers Endorse Gabbard
    Rancho Palos Verdes voters to decide on worker salaries and panic buttons ?" but not until 2019
  • 19th Century Plymouth 'barn sale' building damaged by fire
    Posted On: Jun 26, 2018

    This barn behind a house on Forest Avenue in the city of Plymouth was heavily damage by a Friday evening fire, which remains under investigation.

    Stephen Ribar is intent on repairing the 19th century Plymouth barn that was heavily damaged by fire Friday evening.

    "I want to restore that, because I've been the keeper of that barn since 1975," said Ribar, who lives with wife Pat on Forest Avenue in a house in front of the barn. The barn is insured, he said.

    The cause of the blaze at the two-story barn was under investigation Monday, but Chief Stephen Ott of the Northville City Fire Department, which also serves Plymouth, said it was not considered suspicious in origin.

    The building, which Ribar said dates from shortly after the Civil War, is best known for the "barn sales" of restored furniture, antiques and vintage items that Stephen and Pat Ribar periodically host there.

    "There was so much stuff stacked in there, a lot of Plymouth memorabilia," Ribar said.

    Those items helped fuel the fire, which apparently broke out in the building's southeast corner and spread to the second floor, Ott said.

    The fire was reported shortly before 9 p.m. Friday and, with a fire crew already at nearby Kellogg Park for a Friday evening concert, "they were able to get there pretty quickly" and knock back the blaze, Ott said.

    The fire did not spread to any of the neighboring houses, the chief said.

    In addition to crews from his department's Northville and Plymouth stations, Ott said, firefighters from Plymouth Township also responded under mutual aid, while paramedics from Huron Valley Ambulance stood by in case medical assistance was needed.

    In all, about 25 firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, Ott said.

    "It was a hot night, so we had to make sure we were rotating our crews and keeping them fresh and hydrated," he said. Firefighters were at the scene until about 1 a.m., he said.

    There were unconfirmed reports that two fire hydrants in the area weren't supplying water, but the chief said he had no information on that.

    A Plymouth Township firefighter suffered a minor injury and was treated at a local hospital and released, township Chief Dan Phillips said.

    Ribar said the smoke was thick when he poked his head momentarily into the barn. "You couldn't see a foot in front of your face," he said.

    Ribar said his wife had smelled smoke after they returned from dining out Friday, but couldn't see a fire. An acquaintance, he said, later alerted them to it and a neighbor called the fire department.

    He said he's thankful for the firefighters and police officers who responded. "They were great, they were all super," he said.

    Ribar is uncertain if any of the items stored in the barn can be salvaged. His wife told him she wants to look at every piece, he said.

    "We can't tell," he said. "We can't get in there and we don't know what that smoke and water are doing."

    Contact Matt Jachman at mjachman@hometownlife.com. Follow him on Twitter: @mattjachman.


  • Western Wayne Co. Fire Dept Mutual Aid Assoc.

    Copyright © 2018.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive



    67167 hits since Mar 25, 2012


  • Top of Page image